*Archives   Home  Boards Comics  Cons  Features  Gallery  News Shopping  Wallpaper  Wiki  Videos  Superhero Fitness Site Rules
Deadlaw has arrived!
Custom Search

Superhero Comic Book News & Community Fantastic Four Death Spoiler 
»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

Comic Book Super Heroes Forum / Super Heroes / Marvel Comics / Fantastic Four / Fantastic Four Death Spoiler
SU Stories SU Gallery SU Character List  Story Index  Comic Book News Headlines Shop here!
Fantastic Four Death Spoiler

Superhero Costumes
Posted:  25 Jan 2011 16:30
Don't read this post, if you don't want to know which member of the Fantastic Four dies in the latest FF book.

http://superherouniverse.com/images/fantastic%20four%20death.jpg

***************warning spoiler alert*************

Quote:
The tragic saga of “Three” has come to an end in the pages of FANTASTIC FOUR #587—and The Human Torch has fallen. John Storm sacrificed himself so that his niece and nephew as well as his best friend, The Thing, could escape the Negative Zone.

Quote:
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR FANTASTIC FOUR #587

By Ben Morse

The tragic saga of “Three” has come to an end in the pages of FANTASTIC FOUR #587—and The Human Torch has fallen. John Storm sacrificed himself so that his niece and nephew as well as his best friend, The Thing, could escape the Negative Zone.

It’s a moment series writer Jonathan Hickman knew about a long time ago.

“Day one, word one,” he says of when he became aware of Johnny’s imminent demise. “When [Marvel Senior Vice President of Publishing and FANTASTIC FOUR editor] Tom [Brevoort] asked me to pitch the book, and then later on when I gave him my detailed arc-by-arc, issue-by-issue breakdown, this was always there. I think if you go back and read all the [issues] I’ve done up to this point you can kind of see how it has led to this.”

Though members have come and gone for brief periods over the team’s 50 year history, the Fantastic Four has always reverted back to the family unit of Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben. With one of these four pillars now gone, Hickman promises inevitable change at the very core of the FF.

Quote:
“Johnny was, in simplistic terms, the ‘id’ of the team,” he explains. “He represented the child-like, more innocent view of the world. He stood in direct contrast to the world ‘as it really is.’ Now, with him gone, and with everything underlined by Reed’s vision of ‘how the world should be,’ his demise both heightens the need for that future to come to pass as well as leaves it in doubt.”

Quote:
“The next issue of FANTASTIC FOUR, the last one, #558, follows the rest of the team through the month following Johnny’s death,” previews the writer. “Lots of things happen in that issue that not only cover how each of the family members are being affected, but also hints at the massive events right around the corner.

“This is not an ending.”

source: http://marvel.com/news/story/15057/fantastic_four_casualty

http://superherouniverse.com/images/ff-death.jpg

Well if you walk into a comic store and see this cover, it kind of gives it a way in a hurry.

I wonder what happens next. They say it's the last one, but the story doesn't end. Will it go on as the Fantastic Three or what?

Fantastic Four Fan art

Fantastic Four Store pages -

Books

Clothing
Costumes
Shirts

DVDs
Posters

Sporting Goods

Toys

Video Games

VHS Videos
Posted:  25 Jan 2011 16:36
So who's going to make up the future FF? She-Hulk? Power Man?
Posted:  25 Jan 2011 16:58
I don't know, I kind of get the impression it's going to be just the Fantastic Three. I'm not super crazy about comic book deaths. Seems like a waste of time in some ways. I think if I were going to do a comic book death it would be a character that wasn't either that popular or I didn't want to fool with writing about anymore, or at least for a while.
Posted:  25 Jan 2011 22:03
did not they killed off captain america back in 2007? and now he's back again? 

this move is mainly done to push sales I think.
Posted:  26 Jan 2011 02:41
I kind of knew it would be him, or the Thing.  But I forsee them launching the book with a new number 1, maybe with a new member or a new title (like The Teriffic Three) very soon, as they lead into the return of the Human Torch.

But wouldn't it be interesting if they brought the android Human Torch as the new fourth member?  I know his body was used to make Vision, but he was in the West Coast Avengers for a time while Vision was still around.

But they could also go with Firestar, to round out the gender dynamic, or try to stretch Spider-Man thin by putting him on the team (never mind that it wouldn't make sense).  Or, heaven forbid, they put Wolverine on the roster (hey, I have a comic where he faced Galactus--maybe they'd use that as validation).
Posted:  26 Jan 2011 15:06
All good ideas, but one thing that Marvel does these days I can't stand, and that's starting the number all over again. It's hard to keep track that way especially if you are like me and wait to get most issues in the cheap boxes.

Difficult for a guy like me that likes to keep all his comics in perfect order when they restart the numbers and then go back to the original. I'm so confused on the Incredible Hulk I don't know what to think after they started a new Hulk series and changed the current series to Hercules.
Posted:  26 Jan 2011 15:11
AP Press news release on death in FF

Posted:  27 Jan 2011 01:46
I don't like the renumbering, but in the end it isn't as annoying as the cover date.  I like to arrange my comics by release date, but that can be so difficult, because you can't determine that from the comic itself.  The cover date is always at least two months ahead for Mrvel and DC, but Image ranges from that to being right on the correct month.

Now, there are websites where I can find out the release dates for 2000s comics, but it is annoying when trying to go into the 90s, and especially before.  Comiclistdatabase used to be a good resource for the 90s, until they inexplicably dropped all records from before 2005 in a site redesign.

What I like to see, though, is not only what was published each month, but each week.  For instance, what hit the shelves for DC the same day Secret Wars #1 came out?  It is interesting to see what was running concurrently in that regard.  I like to do the same with my superhero movies, but at least IMDB has complete release dates for many (but not all) of those.

But I go on tangents.  Personally, I think that as far as numbering goes, it would be nice to see them continue their previous numbering scheme.  I know it's a clever marketing ploy (people are more likely to pick up a #1 than anything else), but it can be done in other ways (like putting on the cover that the issue is a perfect starting point for new readers).  Besides, Detective Comics has run since the 30s without a restart in numbering (or even renaming, which is another annoyance I see) and it remains to be one of DC's top books.  That should show them something.
Posted:  27 Jan 2011 14:26
Cover dates annoy me too. Who in the world thought to put the wrong month on the covers like that? I like knowing when the comic came out too, sometimes the only way you can tell is if the story has a Christmas story in it, you figure that one was in December. Then I have a reference point at least. I like to try and remember what was going on in the world when I read an older issue. Kind of fun picking up on the characters comments on the times of whatever year the book came from.
Posted:  29 Jan 2011 01:40
I can understand, especially since there are many issues that make cultural references which can only be appreciated if you know what was going on in the world at the time.

But I know the reason behind cover dates: newsstands were given a minimum amount of time they were to keep the comics on the stands, before sending the unsold copies back for refund.  The companies handily put this date on the covers, so the retailer need only take a quick glance at the cover to know whether they could get rid of the clutter yet.

But the question becomes: why do the companies continue this tradition?  Newsstand comics are basically nonexistant, and the comic book shops love to keep back issues on hand.  Not only that, but we have the Internet now, which could be the replacement system.  Not to mention, Marvel puts their "cover" dates inside thir comics now, instead of on the front, so the system wouldn't even work for them anymore.

Sci-Fi with a Twist

Short stories that will blow you away!

Book Description

Home repair videos

Superhero Collectibles

Superhero -
Books Clothing DVDs Games
Toys

Superhero Stores
Superhero Universe Characters

Aquaman Avengers Batman
Captain America Daredevil