Site Home  Boards Comics  Cons  Features  Gallery  News Shopping  Wallpaper  Wiki  Videos  Superhero Fitness Site Rules
Custom Search

Superhero Comic Book News & Community 'Justice League' Film, 'Batman' Reboot Planned, Says Warner Bros. Executive 
»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

Comic Book Super Heroes Forum / Super Heroes / DC Comics / Justice League / 'Justice League' Film, 'Batman' Reboot Planned, Says Warner Bros. Executive
Superherouniverse.com is the place to find great original stories and art as well as all the latest major superhero movie news.
SU Stories SU Gallery SU Character List  Story Index  Comic Book News Headlines Shop here!

'Justice League' Film, 'Batman' Reboot Planned, Says Warner Bros. Executive

Shop through this Amazon search box to support Superhero Universe!

Posted:  30 Mar 2011 16:31   Last Edited By: Tim
http://superherouniverse.com/art/data/515/jla_sm.jpg
image by fanboy 1171

Thanks to Jerod for sending me this story in a email from the Huffingpost

'Justice League' Film, 'Batman' Reboot Planned, Says Warner Bros. Executive

Quote:
In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Jeff Robinov, the new Warner Bros. motion picture group president, revealed that a big part of his strategy for the studio going forward is movies based on DC Comics heroes. So it only makes sense that he plans on putting them all together in one film, a big screen adaptation of The Justice League.

This news is very surprising

Quote:
But don't necessarily expect Batman to be played by current Caped Crusader Christian Bale. Robinov also said that he and current director, Christopher Nolan, will "reinvent" the character after Nolan's third Batman film comes out next summer.

“We have the third Batman, but then we’ll have to reinvent Batman," Robinov said. "Chris Nolan and [producing partner and wife] Emma Thomas will be producing it, so it will be a conversation with them about what the next phase is.”

Nolan has long said that he'll only do three movies as a director; Bale has said that he's unsure of his future beyond "The Dark Knight Rises," though he'd be willing to do a fourth film. The final Nolan-directed film is set to be a star-studded epic, with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard and Tom Hardy joining the cast.

I'm not sure why Bale couldn't be the JLA Batman. I see how the character might be needed to be more comic booked up if you will to fit in with a team of heroes. I think they'd have to play up his use of gadgets, and give him sort of a more bigger than life comic book quality, but Bale is great. Just ask him to tone down the gravel voice a bit. I don't think his team would deal with that for too long. I wouldn't want to work with a guy that sounds ticked all the time. It would get annoying.

Also from the LA Times link

Quote:
Also being written for Warner are scripts featuring the Flash and Wonder Woman, who could be spun off into their own movies after Justice League. Though Wonder Woman is also in the works as a television pilot for NBC produced by Warner, Robinov dismissed that as a sticking point. “Wonder Woman could be a film as well, the same way that ‘Superman Returns’ came out while ‘Smallville’ was on,” he said, referring to the 2006 film that put Brandon Routh in the cape and the television show starring Tom Welling that is now in its 10th and final season.

Justice League Store Books Clothing DVDs Posters Toys Video Games
Posted:  30 Mar 2011 18:34
I think DC is playing catch up with Marvel on the team ups. Marvel have already established nearly all of the heroes or will have by the end of the year. Whereas DC has no real framework if you take Bales Batman out and Superman. They have to build everything from scratch. Only the Green Lantern is a possible for being played by the same actor. And it'll be a pretty tall order to introduce 5 characters all in one movie. Marvel only has 2 or 3 new people to add for the Avengers.
Posted:  30 Mar 2011 19:48
I think they should keep Bale, and take a play out of the Marvel Handbook and use each movie to build up a JLA teamup. People get more excited sometimes about what's coming than they do when it actually gets here. Keep the suspense going for as long as possible.
Posted:  31 Mar 2011 07:58
So they're rebooting another well-done superhero movie series.  I wonder if Hollywood cares only about remakes and reboots anymore than pushing a quality franchise forward.  Of course, when the alternative is their often poor sequels, I just don't know what to say.  On the one hand, we don't get the origin story again, but we get a trite and horrible movie which has forgotten what made the original movie great (or remembered all too well, and it comes off as a cheap retread of the original).

But a Justice League movie would be great, and it's a wonder DC didn't try what Marvel has been doing a while ago.  After all, Warner Bros. distributes and has the rights to distribute all the pertinent characters, and thus have had all the opportunities in the world to tie their movies togther.  But Marvel starts to put out their movies in-house, and suddenly everything is interwoven.  Sure, Marvel can't use their biggest characters (Spider-Man, the X-Men), but they have been able to put a lot of mileage into their B- and C-list characters (not that Captain America is in that category--he's an icon--but he is an exception, like the Hulk, though his movies don't do well).

Let's hope that something great comes of this.  It has the potential, and people will definitely take notice.  Sadly, DC has not had a good track record with live-action Justice League outings (Legends of the Superheroes and Justice League of America were awful, while last decade they cancelled a long-in-gestation Justice League movie project).  Hopefully this can make up for it.
Posted:  31 Mar 2011 14:45
I think a reinvention of a character can be an exciting draw, but Hollywood goes overboard. Like Spider-man, we were only 3 movies in before they wanted to scrap everything and reboot. It's getting ridiculous. It's like having to reboot your computer in the middle of something. It can really tick you off.

I think the Hulk can make better money, it's just the first one wasn't exciting enough. That hurts business for the next movie. The second one was a lot better, but they still haven't gone with the comic book origin which would have made for a great movie. TV show was great, but they don't need to change the origin to sort of do a tribute of some sort to it.

Next problem is most people my age grew up with a real live Hulk, Lou Ferrigno, and it's probably harder to get behind a cgi Hulk for them. To them it's just a glorified cartoon.
Posted:  01 Apr 2011 00:32
To me, the Hulk is jus a bit hard to pull off.  I found Ang Lee's movie to be great.  It was a psychological exploration of the character, and I welcome cerebral movies.  Its problem was when it came to the action--it seemed forced, and the dialogue a bit weird.

The 2008 movie was a more mindless action movie, but missed the emotional depth which could have been explored.  As well, I am not a fan of the way they did the Abomination, but such i as it is.

Also, asfar as the 70s TV series goes, I am a little over halfway through season 3 (I have the entire series on DVD).  It took me a little bit to warm up to Lou Ferrigno's Hulk, because I am used to the comic and movie versions, and still find it odd when people in Las Vegas run and shriek in terror at a large green man--it can't be the weirdest thing people have seen in that city and actually might look downright normal.

But I agree about the origin.  Keep it like the comic books.  At least bring in Rick Jones.  He's an important character--and he can set up the Hulk's ties to Captain America, and open up the option for a Captain Marvel movie (which I am sure Marvel wants to create so they can further screw DC out of the rights to using the Captain Marvel name).

Sometimes reboots work--if the original franchise was not well received, or if it was made some time ago.  The Punisher keeps getting rebooted because his movies are terrible.  They have yet to find a working formula for him (which should be easy: get Guy Ritchie on it; I'm sure he could handle the character).  Meanwhile, Batman Begins worked because the 90s Batman movies had both suffered sequel rot starting with Forever, and also people were far enough removed that it was not needed to stay in line with the Tim Burton continuity.

And I can think of an instance where a reboot was needed and they neglected to do it: Superman Returns.  As beloved as the original movies are, and as great as Christopher Reeve was playing Superman, there are two problems I see with those movies: they were a product of a different time with no connecting ties to modern times anymore, and the movies were too campy (say what you want, but flying around the world to reverse time is not something for which I could suspend my disbelief, and couldn't when I was little, either--of course, I also thought the 60s Batman was too silly when I was little, so go figure).  I am excited about the upcoming Superman movie because they are starting their own continuity: no more improbable ways to everse time, no more talking (or humans breathing) in space, etc.

Still, if they want to give the mythos a twist (and risk fan uproar, but it would be interesting to see), why not change something simple about Superman: his race?  I would think that they could renvent the icon for the world as a man of indeterminate race.  It would be an interesting thing to do with the character, I think.  But it's something that troubles me about Wonder Woman, as well.  She's supposed to be an Amazon (African tribe), but is as white as they come.  I've seen some artists give her a little ethnic ambiguity, and I would have loved to see the TV show cast somebody along those lines (and less femme than the woman they cast--she's Wonder Woman, for heaven's sake!).
Posted:  01 Apr 2011 14:34
I'm not crazy about changing Superman's race. I've always liked characters to stay true to their origins costume and looks wise as well as personality. If you change their race they become a different person. I think it's better to create new characters all together.

Top Ten Time Travel Books

Superhero Collectibles

Superhero - Books Clothing DVDs Games Posters
Toys

Superhero Stores
Aquaman Avengers Batman
Captain America Daredevil
Fantastic Four  Green Lantern
Green Arrow Hulk Iron Man
 Indiana Jones Justice League
Spider-man Star Trek Star Wars
Superman Teen Titans Thor TMNT Transformers