Site Home  Boards Comics  Cons  Features  Gallery  News Shopping  Wallpaper  Wiki  Videos  Superhero Fitness Site Rules
Custom Search

Superhero Comic Book News & Community Hotwheels Creator Dies 
»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

Superherouniverse.com is the place to find great original stories and art as well as all the latest major superhero movie news.
SU Stories SU Gallery SU Character List  Story Index  Comic Book News Headlines Shop here!

Hotwheels Creator Dies

Knoxville, Tn Home Inspector
Shop through this Amazon search box to support Superhero Universe!

Posted:  27 Jul 2011 19:59   Last Edited By: Tim
Elliot Handler, who co-founded the Mattel toy company in 1945, passed away on July 21 at the age of 95. He leaves behind a corporation that grew to become the largest toymaker in the world today. Much of its success can be traced back to 1959 when Handler's wife, Barbara created the Barbie doll, which went on to become one of the most successful toys of all time. Looking to create a product that would be as popular with boys, in 1967 Handler asked his head of design to develop a die-cast car that was faster than the others on the market - such as the ones sold by Matchbox.
A year later, Mattel introduced what has become known as the "Sweet Sixteen," its first line of Hot Wheels cars. They were based on both real models and the kind of fantasy hot rods popular in the 1960's. Since then the company has built over 800 different cars, sold more than 4 billion of them and even bought Matchbox in 1996.
Click through the slideshow for a trip down memory lane with the ones that started it all.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/leisure/2011/07/26/hot-wheels-creator-remembered/#ixzz1TKVNFZuT

I posted this because I used to collect Hotwheels back when I was a kid. Anybody remember how much they used to cost? I'm think they were about the same price they are now somewhere around a buck a piece maybe?

Top Ten Time Travel Books

Superhero Collectibles

Superhero - Books Clothing DVDs Games Posters
Toys

Superhero Stores
Aquaman Avengers Batman
Captain America Daredevil
Fantastic Four  Green Lantern
Green Arrow Hulk Iron Man
 Indiana Jones Justice League
Spider-man Star Trek Star Wars
Superman Teen Titans Thor TMNT Transformers