Site Home  Boards Comics  Cons  Features  Gallery  News Shopping  Wallpaper  Wiki  Videos  Superhero Fitness Site Rules
Deadlaw has arrived!
Custom Search

Superhero Comic Book News & Community Why the Avengers are Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Part 1 
»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

Comic Book Super Heroes Forum / Super Heroes / Marvel Comics / Avengers / Why the Avengers are Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Part 1
SU Stories SU Gallery SU Character List  Story Index  Comic Book News Headlines Shop here!
Why the Avengers are Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Part 1

Superhero Costumes
Posted:  18 Apr 2013 20:45   Last Edited By: Tim
Recently I got to thinking about my favorite superhero team of my childhood, the Avengers, and how much fun I've had even now reading about their adventures over the years. I'm starting a series of articles beginning with this one that will look at all the things that makes the Avengers such great reading material but I'll also be looking at some of the things that didn't work as well. I'll be going over the essential characters, storylines, and lineups that really stand out. I hope this will be a good guide for someone not completely familiar with the team's history.

http://superherouniverse.com/pics/articles/avengers.jpg

The Avengers have been “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes” since they were created in 1963 by comic legends Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. The team has gone through countless changes in the lineup over the last fifty years and has spawned many offshoots such as the West Coast Avengers and the Secret Avengers. As a kid I loved reading the Avengers and I still do, and over time I was able to determine what some of the things are that make these stories so great, and also what keeps some of them from really standing out like they should.

When most people think about the Avengers, the names that come to mind are the ones belonging to the Big Three: Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor. But those guys alone don’t make the Avengers great. No matter who’s writing the Avengers, one thing that always needs to be considered is that those three already have their own books where they can experience character development. A lot of the Avengers’ best writers have acknowledged this and it really shows in their writing. That of course doesn’t mean that Cap, Iron Man, and Thor shouldn’t  get their fair share of good stories in “The Avengers” but it does mean that other characters who are just as interesting who don’t have their own titles can get their chance to shine too. A lot of people overlook the classic supporting cast that are what essentially provides for such incredible storytelling.

Hank Pym is one character who doesn’t get the credit he deserves. It shouldn’t be forgotten that he helped found the team. He was an Avenger even before Captain America showed up. He’s gone through several superhero personas over the years such as “Ant-Man”, “Giant-Man”, “Goliath” and “Yellowjacket” and even though he hasn’t always been around writers love to use him.

During the late 1960s and early 1970s, it wasn’t the Big Three that delivered the most interesting stories. One could easily argue that it was Dr. Pym who made the early days of the Avengers so fun to read. After coming back from a hiatus with the Wasp, many of the Avengers’ key storylines focused on Pym’s problems including his romance with the Wasp. One storyline was when he went through a period where his constant size-changing left him stuck at ten feet tall. Following that, Pym went through another dramatic change when an experiment went wrong and altered his personality. As “Yellowjacket”, he went around fighting crime on his own and even claimed to have murdered Pym. This was straightened out quickly but Pym remained Yellowjacket for quite a while. 

What occurred in the early 1980s was one of the most memorable and controversial runs in the history of the Avengers. Once again it was all about Pym. His place in the Marvel Universe shifted completely when he hit his wife, the Wasp. This was a totally new direction for the comic as it was never expected to touch on domestic abuse.

http://superherouniverse.com/pics/articles/avengers2.jpg

When this happened, Pym was at a moment of great mental stress and his action cost him his role in the Avengers. Pym went from being a distinguished scientific mind to being labeled as mentally unstable and a failure considering that he also invented one of Marvel’s most notorious villains, Ultron.  Afterwards he was framed for attacking the Avengers and thrown in prison. This storyline was extended over several issues until it reached an epic conclusion where Pym was broken out of jail against his will and was framed yet again, but this time for arranging the jailbreak. Pym’s world was turning upside down, but he turned the tables on his enemies and single-handedly defeated the Masters of Evil.

http://superherouniverse.com/pics/articles/avengers3.jpg

After this, the Avengers realized they were wrong about Pym and decided to forgive him for his actions during his nervous breakdown. Captain America even claimed to bear part of the blame for it, and instead of accepting the Avengers' offer to take him back, Pym took complete responsbility for what happened and left the team with honor.

All of Pym’s contributions to the history of the Avengers can’t be listed here, but it should be noted that both his greatest triumphs and his greatest mistakes have created some of the best Avengers stories ever told.
Posted:  18 Apr 2013 20:59
Pym has definitely been a great character for driving a good storyline.

I always kind of hate it that he and the Wasp ended up bad though. I guess I've always wanted happy endings, but then without some kind of problem there isn't any story to drag you in.

He's the only hero I can think of with that many different identities over the years. I think Spider-man had a short run as a few different heroes once, but I don't remember much about that story.
Posted:  19 Apr 2013 05:50
Tim you're thinking of Identity Crisis I believe where Spiderman became Ricochet, Dusk, Hornet, and Prodigy

Spiderman Identity Crisis

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Spider-Man-Identity_Crisis.jpg

As far as the main topic the Avengers is one of the most interesting, diverse group ever written. I knew of Pym's different identities and I vaguely remember the storyline mentioned above where he ends up leaving the Avengers.

Great idea to start this history guide Rick!
Posted:  19 Apr 2013 07:55
I've only read the Ultimate Avengers series which has Pym starting off as a unstable character from the get go. I did pick up West Coast Avengers Vol. 2 No.41 Feb 1989. It had a line up of Moonknight, Mockingbird, Tigra plus Hellstrom guesting not to mention 3 different Phantom Riders going at each other. Things can get complicated pretty quickly Oh and that was before the Army of Seth turned up!
Posted:  19 Apr 2013 15:45
Quote:
Tim you're thinking of Identity Crisis I believe where Spiderman became Ricochet, Dusk, Hornet, and Prodigy

Yeah, you're right MA. That's exactly what I was thinking of.
Posted:  21 Apr 2013 03:42
Very interesting Rick!

To think Pym created one of the Avenger's greatest foes (Ultron) whom then went on to make one of the Avenger's greatest members (the Vision) is quite a family tree.

Look forward to more insights!
Posted:  16 Jan 2014 02:46
In light of recent news events I think it's appropriate to bump this one back up by linking to the latest bit of news - Michael Douglas as Hank Pym

Sci-Fi with a Twist

Short stories that will blow you away!

Book Description

Top Ten Time Travel Books

*New Time Cruisers III Shadows of the Past

Superhero Collectibles

Superhero -
Books Clothing DVDs Games
Toys

Superhero Stores
Superhero Universe Characters

Aquaman Avengers Batman