Site Home  Boards Comics  Cons  Features  Gallery  News Shopping  Wallpaper  Wiki  Videos  Superhero Fitness Site Rules
Custom Search

Superhero Comic Book News & Community X-Men illustrator Dies 
»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

Comic Book Super Heroes Forum / Super Heroes / Marvel Comics / X-Men illustrator Dies
Superherouniverse.com is the place to find great original stories and art as well as all the latest major superhero movie news.
SU Stories SU Gallery SU Character List  Story Index  Comic Book News Headlines Shop here!

X-Men illustrator Dies

Knoxville, Tn Home Inspector
Shop through this Amazon search box to support Superhero Universe!

Posted:  29 Nov 2006 19:38
this is a sad but good article. short enough too read real quick. i didn'y know this guy created so many key x-men characters.  you never here abhout artists doing this type of stuff.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina (AP) -- Wearing Superman pajamas and covered with his Batman blanket, comic book illustrator Dave Cockrum died Sunday.

The 63-year-old overhauled the X-Men comic and helped popularize the relatively obscure Marvel Comics in the 1970s. He helped turn the title into a publishing sensation and major film franchise.

Cockrum died in his favorite chair at his home in Belton, South Carolina, after a long battle with diabetes and related complications, his wife Paty Cockrum said Tuesday.

At Cockrum's request, there will be no public services and his body will be cremated, according to Cox Funeral Home. His ashes will be spread on his property. A family friend said he will be cremated in a Green Lantern shirt.

At Marvel Comics, Cockrum and writer Len Wein were handed the X-Men. The comic had been created in 1963 as a group of young outcasts enrolled in an academy for mutants. The premise had failed to capture fans.

Cockrum and Wein added their own heroes to the comic and published "Giant-Size X-Men No. 1" in 1975. Many signature characters Cockrum designed and co-created -- such as Storm, Mystique, Nightcrawler and Colossus -- went on to become part of the "X-Men" films starring Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry.

Cockrum received no movie royalties, said family friend Clifford Meth, who organized efforts to help Cockrum and his family during his protracted medical care.

"Dave saw the movie and he cried -- not because he was bitter," Meth said. "He cried because his characters were on screen and they were living."

Cockrum was born in Pendleton, Oregon, the son of an Air Force officer. He set aside his interest in art while serving in Vietnam for the U.S. Navy.

He moved to New York after leaving the service and got his big break in the early 1970s, drawing the Legion of Super-Heroes for DC Comics before moving to Marvel.

In January 2004, Cockrum moved to South Carolina after being hospitalized for bacterial pneumonia. As his diabetes progressed, his drawings became limited.

His last drawing was a sketch for a fan, who attended a small comic book convention in Greenville, Paty Cockrum said.

Meth said Cockrum will be remembered as "a comic incarnate."

"He had a genuine love for comics and for science fiction and for fantasy, and he lived in it," Meth said. "He loved his work."

cheers, dave
Posted:  29 Nov 2006 20:21
That is sad, I recognize his name from some X-men comics like the story says.

That makes you want to cry especially the part where he cried because his characters were on the screen.
Posted:  30 Nov 2006 18:08
oh yeah. he sound like a good guy. someone'll have to upload the cover of giant size x-men #1
Posted:  30 Nov 2006 18:52   Last Edited By: Tim
Good idea
http://superherouniverse.com/art/data/534/GiantSizeXMen01.jpg
in memory of Dave Cockrum.
Posted:  30 Nov 2006 21:32
very nice. i;m pretty sure it made wizard magazine's top ten x-men covers ever, and many the top 100 comic covers list too.
great cover. ilove how they're ripping out and the others i shocked. it's funny because the group ripping out seems to have remained the primary group for the past 20 or so years in x-men comics. it's refelected in the comics as everyone ripping out appeared. except for the indian dude.
Posted:  01 Dec 2006 02:05
I wonder thought why is cyclops on there twice?
Posted:  01 Dec 2006 18:18
because he was a part of the original x-men too, and he sort of lost his pride/leadership position/jean grey died judging by his downcast look behind colossus
Posted:  01 Dec 2006 20:02
i knew he was a part of the original x-men but so was jean grey and we all know how big of a role she continued to have in the x-men. Just being nit picky, it's really a very cool cover.

You know I think the Indian should have gotten more stories. It's a cool concept to have a Indian superhero. I think they are doing something with his brother now, though.
Posted:  02 Dec 2006 23:07
i think he had a pretty big role in the old x-mn cartoons and spider-man nd his amazing friends cameos too. i can't remember much but i do remember watchin some x-men cartoon where he turned into a bear or somethin'.
Posted:  03 Dec 2006 00:35
yep that was Spiderman and his Amazing Friends on the episode The X-men Adventure

http://spiderman-web.com/spiderman/tvshows/spiderfriends/spiderfriendsimages/x-men/logo.jpg

http://spiderman-web.com/spiderman/tvshows/spiderfriends/spiderfriendsimages/x-men/xmen3.jpg
Posted:  03 Dec 2006 15:27
dude, holy cow that's exactly the episode! i remember the guy with the tin head and everything!
Posted:  03 Dec 2006 23:11
I've seen all those shows a bunch of times when I was a kid.
Posted:  04 Dec 2006 16:42
yeah i think i had a vhs tape with hat episode on it because it's the only one that i remember
Posted:  05 Dec 2006 15:33
They did put a few of the episodes on VHS. Wish they would put the whole series on DVD.
Posted:  06 Dec 2006 17:17   Last Edited By: SuperDude
yeah, may be an interesting pack.  that avatar show i told you about awhile ago just keep gettin' better and better as it goes.  it's a really funny, quality show. people in it can "bend" water, fire, earth, or air and user them as weapons, tools, etc, t\o it makes for an interestring show, and nickelodeon gives it humor.
Posted:  06 Dec 2006 20:18
Got any pics of it.
Posted:  07 Dec 2006 18:54
ein, momentum
Posted:  07 Dec 2006 19:14

left to right
aang--hero of show, avatar who was frozen for 100 years found by katara and sokka (3 and 4) who must learn all 4 elements to defeat the fire nation.  only airbender still alive.
prince zuko--main bad guy at first, exiled from fire nation, capturing avatar is only way to redeem honor however in second season his uncle (5) also exiled is trying to show him that there's more to life and he's slowly turning into an anti hero character.
katara--main girl, sister of sokka (4) a water bender whose the responsible one of the three main travelers (anng, sokka and katara)
sokka--katara's sister who can't bend but instead uses his boomerang, the comic relief mostly.
uncle iroh--my presonal favorite in the show, perhaps one of the greatest characters of all time, zuko's good hearted, cheerful uncle who loves tea and is trying to remove zuko's anger and evilness. funniest character in possibly any show ever.  voice actor died recently though so he may get killed off in season three.
Posted:  07 Dec 2006 21:04
I'll have to see if I can catch it. I haven't ever seen it before.
Posted:  07 Dec 2006 21:30
yeah, the second season is a lot better. i could get only get around to watching the first season when i was in the mood, but season 2 is pretty entertaining and a lot funnier. it's on nickelodeon every night. i think, i just relied on my brother buying dvds and letting me watch them mostly.
Posted:  10 Dec 2006 01:54
Quote:
yeah, the second season is a lot better. i could get only get around to watching the first season when i was in the mood, but season 2 is pretty entertaining and a lot funnier. it's on nickelodeon every night. i think, i just relied on my brother buying dvds and letting me watch them mostly.
Posted:  10 Dec 2006 01:57
u call kevin smith mediocre. the guy who created that crapshoot was worse than mediocre.avatar sucks!!!. but hey that is just one persons opinion. i say if you can insult kevin smith than i can criticise avatar.
Posted:  10 Dec 2006 18:57
understandable.  but it's humor aimed at tweens is overall more sophisticated than jay, silent bob, or any of smith's characters. peace out.  do understand that if i needed to throw up to lose some weight or some other stupid reason, i'd watch smith's material.
Posted:  11 Dec 2006 22:01
Here's an article from Marvel about Dave Cockrum's death.

Read the article
Posted:  15 Dec 2006 01:06
Quote:
understandable.  but it's humor aimed at tweens is overall more sophisticated than jay, silent bob, or any of smith's characters. peace out.  do understand that if i needed to throw up to lose some weight or some other stupid reason, i'd watch smith's material.
we all have our own likes and dislikes.jay bob and i like smiths films. and u like that airbending fellow. its all good.
Posted:  23 Jan 2007 21:49
he kinda died a marvel traiter

batman and superman

all the roads we have to take are winding,and all the lights that lead us there are blinding
Posted:  24 Jan 2007 22:50
hey, the kyubet bros. went to d.c. and i don't hate im', i think they shouldn't sign contracts though, that way they can do both without totally leaving one or the other. i picked up an issue of action comics yesterday with bizzarro on the cover drawn by one of the kubert bros. and it's awesome , i'll upload a pic sometime.
Posted:  29 Jan 2007 21:10
wat

all the roads we have to take are winding,and all the lights that lead us there are blinding
Posted:  29 Jan 2007 22:43
Quote:
he kinda died a marvel traiter

Huh!

Top Ten Time Travel Books

Superhero Collectibles

Superhero - Books Clothing DVDs Games Posters
Toys

Superhero Stores
Aquaman Avengers Batman
Captain America Daredevil
Fantastic Four  Green Lantern