*Archives   Home  Boards Comics  Cons  Features  Gallery  News Shopping  Wallpaper  Wiki  Videos  Superhero Fitness Site Rules
Deadlaw has arrived!
Custom Search

Superhero Comic Book News & Community Deathlok Coming to Television! 
»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

Comic Book Super Heroes Forum / Super Heroes / Marvel Comics / Agents of SHIELD / Deathlok Coming to Television!
SU Stories SU Gallery SU Character List  Story Index  Comic Book News Headlines Shop here!
Deathlok Coming to Television!

Superhero Costumes
Posted:  24 Jan 2014 16:55   Last Edited By: Tim
Just found this at comicbookmovie.com that the character of Mike Peterson on the TV series SHIELD is really Deathlok, or will be.

Quote:
A classic Marvel Comics icon who is celebrating his 40th anniversary this year, Deathlok will be brought to live-action life for first time ever on the all-new episode of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." premiering Tuesday, February 4 at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC.

J. August Richards as Mike Peterson in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Transformed into the cybernetic solider against his will, Mike Peterson (J. August Richards) must struggle to find the man in the machine. With a high-tech eye that allows him to see through walls, super strength and increased speed courtesy of a cybernetic leg, will Deathlok fight alongside the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or against them?

"We have been waiting all season for this moment where we can reveal that Mike Peterson's story arc is an origin story," said Executive Producer Jeffrey Bell. "We're thrilled to have J. August Richards playing Deathlok and to have our audience enjoy this favorite Marvel character on the show."

"If you would have asked when I was nine-years old what I wanted to be, I would have said a super hero and I'm so excited to be one now as an adult on TV!" added J. August Richards. "It's a dream come true."

Now, I admit I have never been a fan of the newer Deathlok from the 90's, I guess it was, but I've always loved the original Deathlok from the 70's. The main reason being, I loved the background story for the character which featured a post-apocalyptic future. Even though that element may not be explored on television's SHIELD, I'm still excited to see Deathlok on television. Who knows, maybe at some point they can do some sort of story arc that pays homage to those classic stories of the 70's from the pages of Astonishing Tales. Perhaps, they could have some time altering event or some parallel world story that gives us a glimpse of Deathlok's old messed up future world, for a few episodes. Heck, I'd love it if they gave Deathlok his own series, if they stuck him in the post apocalyptic future world. Now that would be a unique series and would be awesome beyond words!

http://superherouniverse.com/wiki/images/thumb/f/f8/AstonishingTales25.jpg/402px-AstonishingTales25.jpg

Deathlok's story

Now here's the thing, I guess they did this to throw us off the trail, but Deathlok's name was Luther Manning in the original series and then Michael Collins for the second Deathlok not Mike Peterson.

Here's a little publication history of Deathlok for you.

The first Deathlok series ran in the Astonishing Tales #25-36 (Aug. 1974 - July 1976). This initial version of the character, Luther Manning, later guest-starred with Spider-Man in Marvel Team-Up #46 (June 1976). Deathlok subsequently appeared with the Thing, a member of the superhero team the Fantastic Four in Marvel Two-In-One #27 & #54 (May 1977 & Aug. 1979), although one appearance was actually a robot and not the genuine Deathlok. The Luther Manning Deathlok then appeared in Captain America #286-288 (Oct.-Dec. 1983).
A new Deathlok, Michael Collins, debuted in the mini-series Deathlok #1-4 (July-Oct. 1990, reprinted as Deathlok Special #1-4 the following year). He was the second Deathlok to be created in the modern era and also the second to be created for the traditional Marvel Universe. This second Deathlok went on to a 34-issue series cover-dated July 1991 to April 1994, plus two summer annuals in 1992 and 1993.

The third Deathlok, SHIELD espionage agent Jack Truman, debuted in an 11-issue limited series cover-dated Sept. 1999 to June 2000.

Deathlok has also appeared in four issues of the miniseries Beyond!, and Michael Collins, in human form and not as Deathlok, appeared in Fantastic Four #544-545 (May-June 2007). Multiple unnamed Deathlok units appear in Black Panther vol. 4, #1-6. Possessing no human sentience, they were automatons created from corpses of soldiers killed in Iraq.

Now if you'd like to brush up on the classic tales of Deathlok here's Marvel Masterworks Volume 1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HL3U3S4zL.jpg

more Deathlok books

I highly recommend Captain America Deathlok Lives. It's a collection of 80's Captain America stories that featured Deathlok. It's one of my favorite storylines of all time.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5137xElDzKL.jpg

Here's the actor's bio from imdb.com

Quote:
Richards was introduced to fans of "Angel" during the series' first season the rogue, street-savvy vampire hunter Charles Gunn. In season five, his character was transformed into a "take-no-prisoners" lawyer at the evil law firm Wolfram and Hart. In "Conviction," Richards returns to the "letter of the law" in his role as Billy Desmond, an ambitious and brilliant assistant district attorney who does not lose.

On the big screen, Richards has appeared in the feature films "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" and "Good Burger." He also starred in the television movies "Critical Assembly," "The Temptations" and "Mutiny." Richards also guest-starred on "The Practice," "Chicago Hope," "The Cosby Show" and "Any Day Now." Last summer, Richards won critical notices in Kenneth Lonergan's "Lobby Hero" at the prestigious Old Globe Theatre.

Check out the Deathlok toys.

Sci-Fi with a Twist

Short stories that will blow you away!

Book Description

Top Ten Time Travel Books

*New Time Cruisers III Shadows of the Past

Superhero Collectibles

Superhero -
Books Clothing DVDs Games
Toys

Superhero Stores
Superhero Universe Characters