*Archives   Home  Boards Comics  Cons  Features  Gallery  News Shopping  Wallpaper  Wiki  Videos  Superhero Fitness Site Rules
Deadlaw has arrived!
Custom Search

Superhero Comic Book News & Community Another Captain America Replacement? 
»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

Comic Book Super Heroes Forum / Super Heroes / Marvel Comics / Captain America / Another Captain America Replacement?
SU Stories SU Gallery SU Character List  Story Index  Comic Book News Headlines Shop here!
Another Captain America Replacement?

Superhero Costumes
Posted:  08 Jul 2014 14:10   Last Edited By: Tim
******Spoilers for Captain America #21

source: http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/07/07/marvel-comics-will-reveal-the-new-captain-america-today/

Quote:
During a battle with the villain the Iron Nail, Steve Rogers had the Super-Soldier serum sucked from his body, leaving him powerless and causing him to rapidly age into an old man. In an interview with Comic Book Resources, writer Rick Remender confirmed that Steve Rogers will no longer be in the field as Captain America.
This isn’t the first time that someone else has assumed the role of Captain America. When Steve Rogers was assassinated at the end of the “Civil War” story arc, Bucky Barnes became the new Captain America.

He goes on to guess that the Falcon might be taking over as the new Cap.

Doesn't look like there is official word on who will be the next Cap though.

Quote:
Marvel did not reveal who would be taking over for Steve Rogers today; it turns out that the new Captain America will not debut until this fall. Marvel did, however, explain what the Captain America comic series will look like going forward and what Steve Rogers’ role would be. In an interview with Marvel, writer Rick Remender explained that Steve Rogers will assume the role of a mentor and strategist now that he has lost his powers.

“He’s waging war from a room rather than the front lines, which is new for Steve,” said Remender. “Steve’s going to continue to play a role in the series as a mentor and tactician and eye in the sky, runing ops and things. He’s got all his faculties and is still the super soldier he earned the right to be called; he just lacks the physical form.”

Over the next few issues, Steve Rogers will struggle to pick a replacement from a short list; one cast member will be betrayed, and “a few surprise characters we haven’t seen in awhile” are set to return.

Captain America store books clothing dvds posters toys

I'm a little surprised they are doing the whole new Cap route again. Of course, considering the fact that I've read comics for over 30 years, at least, I guess no story direction could really be completely new to me.
Posted:  08 Jul 2014 20:25
It doesn't make any sense.  He's lost the serum before and didn't suffer any big consequences from it--he simply had to work harder to do the things he does.  I'd like to see more consistency continuity-wise.
Posted:  08 Jul 2014 23:26
Agree with shastab24; this makes little sense. I  remember at one point when steroids were a big deal Marvel worked to get "chemicals" not a focal of his origin/powers.
Posted:  17 Jul 2014 13:47   Last Edited By: Tim
Here's the new Captain America, Cap Falcon.

http://captain-america.us/gallery/data/media/2/Captain-Falcon.jpg

Quote:
In the comic's storyline an incapacitated Steve Rogers, the original Captain America, will hand off the role to his longtime friend and superhero partner the Falcon, real name Sam Wilson, to take over in the patriotic costume and iconic circular shield.

http://theweek.com/article/index/264868/speedreads-marvel-comics-announces-black-character-as-the-new-captain-america

You know if they made him a new black patriotic superhero I would think it was cool, or even just do this for 2 or 3 issues, but they'll probably drag this out a year or more at least before Steve Rogers comes back. Steve Rogers is Cap that's all it is to it, like Clark Kent is Superman.

Definitely, better than She-Thor anyway.
Posted:  17 Jul 2014 23:38
Hmmmmm....who will step up to fill in Falcon's shoes? 
Posted:  18 Jul 2014 13:31
That's a good question, Jerod. This move makes it seem like the Falcon isn't important. Plus, if he takes Cap's role he won't even be able to fly anymore. That would take some getting used to. He loses his major ability.
Posted:  19 Jul 2014 02:32
There's also the unfortunate implication with such a move like this: if they take a minority character with his or her own identity and make that person take up the mantle of a straight white character, they're saying that said straight white character was the only important one all along, that the minority character and his or her own developed identity never mattered in the first place.

Besides, if they wanted a black Captain America, it would have been nice to see them instead have Patriot of Young Avengers take the role.  He's already patriotic-themed and inspired by Cap, so it isn't much of a stretch.  The only reason why it's Falcon taking up the mantle is because he was in the movie.  One of the reasons I feel the comics should dictate the movies more than the other way around.
Posted:  20 Jul 2014 01:43
I feel like this is just an excuse to make a black Captain America. If Marvel wants to tell good stories about Sam Wilson, I'm all for it, as he is a pretty good character. They should start a new comic series and name it "Falcon." My main problem with this is that Steve Rogers has to take a backseat for a while.
Posted:  21 Jul 2014 00:15
Well, they had a black Captain America.  His name was Isaiah Bradley, and he was from the Truth: Red White and Black series.
Posted:  21 Jul 2014 13:54
There really isn't anything that hasn't been done before.
Posted:  21 Jul 2014 21:11
I forgot about that, but I thought he was just a patriotic hero? They actually called him Captain America? Even so, I don't think its quite the same thing as that was a retro story. Sam Wilson will be the first black character to be "the" Captain America. He'll take over the comic series, and will appear in any of Marvel's big events that are going on at the time.

Like Tim, I'm fine with him having a short stint as the Captain; I hate it when they drag it out and I have to go a year without Steve Rogers. I can deal with it though if they hurry up and give him the serum back so he can be young again. Maybe he can put on his Nomad suit again or start another superhero identity???

Sci-Fi with a Twist

Short stories that will blow you away!

Book Description

Home repair videos

Superhero Collectibles

Superhero -
Books Clothing DVDs Games
Toys

Superhero Stores
Superhero Universe Characters

Aquaman Avengers Batman
Captain America Daredevil