*Archives   Home  Boards Comics  Cons  Features  Gallery  News Shopping  Wallpaper  Wiki  Videos  Superhero Fitness Site Rules
Deadlaw has arrived!
Custom Search

Superhero Comic Book News & Community Book Promotion Ideas for Writers 
»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

SU Stories SU Gallery SU Character List  Story Index  Comic Book News Headlines Shop here!
Book Promotion Ideas for Writers

Superhero Costumes
Posted:  21 Feb 2017 22:25   Last Edited By: Tim
I thought I would start this thread in order for us to put our book promotion ideas together.

I'll add more details later, but quickly here are some of the things I'm testing.

1. Fiverr - not getting a whole lot out of it yet. The only effective fiverr I've used so far is bknights and that was for the free book. It generated quite a few downloads, but it was for free copies of my book. This reminds me, you can put your book on download for free for a few days at Amazon in order to hopefully generate reviews. This is good and bad. I think a lot of readers are just hitting up all the free books and buying less.

2. Goodreads seems like a good spot for promotion. I was able to pull up Man Against the World by Nick, but I wasn't able to find Sword of the Apocalypse by Rob. I recommend that we support each other by filling out their reviews and rating the books. I'm thinking the books show up once they've been added to the individual author's pages for Amazon.

3. Create an author's page for Amazon. Here's my author's page. Here's Jack Legend's author page.

4. Facebook author page is worth a try, but I'll tell you facebook is a hard nut to crack. Facebook is created with one goal in mind, and that's to get your dough. I'm not against making money, but you have to remember they tend to only post a small fraction of your posts to your friends for followers at any time. Now if you have a personal facebook page for yourself you can get a ton of likes for a picture of yourself or your dog, but post something related to making money and their algorithms will fence you in, big time.

5. I've got some ads going on Amazon and believe it or not it's kind of hard to get them to post your ad. Go figure, you'd think offering them money would be enough, but I suppose the problem could be I'm not bidding enough. Hopefully, I'll figure it out.

6.Find websites to post on. So far I just know of my sites, which I encourage you all to post anything at all that might get folks to buy your books. If you think of any other free sites that allow book promotional posts, then put links here.

7. Create a website for your books - example Jack Legend. It gives you a site to point all your efforts to besides just your Amazon book page. It gives you an extra space to promote your books dedicated to just to promoting your books.

8.*****Get Amazon Reviews for your book! This one is hard to do, but somehow, someway you have to talk people into not only buying your book, but also write a review. As mentioned already, giving it away free for a few days is supposed to help, but it is hard to get people to post a review. I'm very grateful to everyone on this site that's taken the time to write reviews for my books in the past. I recently read that the goal should be to get 50 reviews. I suppose once you get that many, you'll be higher in Amazon's pages and it will be easier to sell your book. That does seem like a lot, but you got to have goals.

Thing is, we put a whole lot of effort into writing including hours of editing. I'm determined to find a formula that gets my books out there, and if we can help each other out, perhaps we can all create hits.

Please share any ideas you might have for book promotion.
Posted:  22 Feb 2017 06:43   Last Edited By: Rick Jones
Quote:
I'm thinking the books show up once they've been added to the individual author's pages for Amazon.

Actually, I went to Goodreads a while back and added A Man Against the World manually. Then I added it to the Goodreads lists that I thought were appropriate for its genre.

I also joined book promotion groups on FB that let you advertise your books for free.

Another big thing is keywords. I pay a lot of attention to those. You can tell which ones work by paying attention to the "Customers Who Bought This Also Bought" section on Amazon. I noticed a lot of people buying my book were also reading stuff with Celtic influences. One of my keywords is "Celtic mythology" so I knew they must have typed that in. If your keywords are something specific like that you can reach people better, but if it's something extremely broad it'll be so far down the list it will be very hard for it to be discovered.

For you to release your book for free and have ads on Amazon, I suppose you had to enroll your book in KDP Select? That's one direction I've been unwilling to do because I don't want my book to be exclusive to Amazon. I'm thinking that there's better options and am currently exploring those.

I know a friend of a friend who is a very successful author that I'm supposed to speak with this week for marketing advice. Hopefully I can get that worked out and see more of a profit soon.

Quote:
Sword of the Apocalypse by Rob

Rob? Would that be Midnight Avenger? If so, I can't believe I didn't know about it!
Posted:  22 Feb 2017 13:58   Last Edited By: new midnight avenger
Rick its one and the same. Its the short story I posted on here a while back. I haven't looked into any of those marketing ideas yet but I'll definitely take a look at some now.

Just a heads up though anyone looking for the book under my name will not find it now. I have updated it recently and created my author's page on Amazon under a pseudonym. You can find my page here: Deckard Caine

And here's the board post from when the book went live and I let SHU know Sword of the Apocalypse
Posted:  22 Feb 2017 15:25
Quote:
I also joined book promotion groups on FB that let you advertise your books for free.

I found this list of facebook book promotion groups I'm going to go through today. -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ListofALLbookpromotions/permalink/438344202982499/

Do you have a different list? I'm going to post on as many as I can and keep record of which ones I post on.

Quote:
For you to release your book for free and have ads on Amazon, I suppose you had to enroll your book in KDP Select?

That's true. After two or three months you can quit the KDP if you want, though, but like you said, you are tied down to just Amazon for a bit.

Quote:
I know a friend of a friend who is a very successful author that I'm supposed to speak with this week for marketing advice.

Let us know what you find out.

Quote:
Just a heads up though anyone looking for the book under my name will not find it now. I have updated it recently and created my author's page on Amazon under a pseudonym. You can find my page here: Deckard Caine

Deckard Caine sounds like an awesome pen name. It goes together. I hadn't thought of changing the name of books I have already written. That could come in handy if one name does better than another one.
Posted:  22 Feb 2017 16:38
Quote:
Deckard Caine sounds like an awesome pen name. It goes together

Thanks Tim, I thought it might work better for the fantasy novel I'm working on and figured I might as well make them all the same.

The name actually came from three places for me. There is a Deckard Cain as an NPC in the Diablo games and like you I thought the name worked well. But I had forgotten that until I started searching it to make sure there wasn't already a writer using it.

I was basically combining the last names of Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford's character in Blade Runner) with Kwai Chang Caine (David Carridine's character from the Kung Fu T.V. series) as I liked both characters quite a bit.
Posted:  22 Feb 2017 19:54
Deckard, I think was also a character that always chased the A-team around and there was a sheriff named Caine on B.J. and the Bear. I thought you might be combining a name from pop culture, but I didn't think about those references. I used to watch Kung Fu in reruns a lot as a kid, the western version, and then the one where he teamed up with his son on modern America. I should have gotten that one.
Posted:  23 Feb 2017 00:39
I just found this. I haven't had time to go through it yet, but it may be helpful.

Promoting your sci-fi/fantasy book on social media: a newbie’s guide
https://www.blueinkreview.com/promoting-your-sci-fifantasy-book-on-social-media-a-newbies-guide/

Sci-Fi with a Twist

Short stories that will blow you away!

Book Description

Home repair videos

Superhero Collectibles

Superhero -
Books Clothing DVDs Games
Toys

Superhero Stores
Superhero Universe Characters

Aquaman Avengers Batman
Captain America Daredevil