*Archives   Home  Boards Comics  Cons  Features  Gallery  News Shopping  Wallpaper  Wiki  Videos  Superhero Fitness Site Rules
Deadlaw has arrived!
Custom Search

Superhero Comic Book News & Community Iron Fist Casting is not Racism 
»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

Comic Book Super Heroes Forum / Super Heroes / Marvel Comics / Power Man & Iron Fist / Iron Fist Casting is not Racism
SU Stories SU Gallery SU Character List  Story Index  Comic Book News Headlines Shop here!
Iron Fist Casting is not Racism

Superhero Costumes
Posted:  23 Mar 2017 14:23   Last Edited By: Tim
I keep seeing all these articles and comments stating that the casting of a white actor to play Iron Fist is racist.

Case in point - https://www.yahoo.com/news/iron-fist-star-blasts-comic-144623208.html

The writer blasts Iron Fist comic creator Roy Thomas first for saying Oriental to describe Asians, which may be offensive, I won't argue that because I think I've only heard that said once before, but what I will argue over is the article writer's response to the last quote from Thomas in the paragraph below. (Some kid is calling me a racist right now, I just know it.)

Quote:
Roy Thomas - "Now if something is really racist or degrading to a sex or race, an ethnic group or something like that, that's something else. But Iron Fist isn't that and never has been," he said. "It's all about a fictitious race, a fictitious place like a Shangri-La, and one person who happens to be its emissary. There's no reason why he can't be Caucasian."

If Thomas believes that, then it's further proof of Iron Fist's problematic origins from the 1970s.

This is the comment that got me.

Quote:
If Thomas believes that, then it's further proof of Iron Fist's problematic origins from the 1970s.

Maybe, I'm just too simple-minded, old fashioned, perhaps, or maybe I like to think too much, but it appears to me that an argument could be made that if they had cast an Asian actor to play Iron Fist that would or could have been perceived as racist as well. After all, it's a racial stereotype that all Asians know the martial arts. It seems that everyone is calling Iron Fist racist because it doesn't adhere to a racial stereotype by equating martial arts with only Asian individuals. Oh, well the thing to do on the internet anymore is argue stupid points. Why? Because that's the only way you get attention on the internet these days. Surely, the people that write this stuff don't really believe it themselves.

Racism is a serious subject and should be treated that way, but calling everything and everyone under the sun racist with ridiculous logic only diminishes the term. Now the term racist has become nothing more than an insult used to belittle or silence others. Give someone a label and then push them to the side and nothing else they say matters. Don't call someone or something racist unless you know 100 percent sure that it is. Don't diminish the term to get noticed. Oh, and we do have something we call reasonable doubt, or at least we used to.

That being said, I haven't seen Iron Fist yet. I plan on watching it later, but right now I'm watching, "The Man in the High Castle Season 2, plus trying to keep up with all my other shows.

The bottom line is this. The martial arts is something that anybody of any race can excel in given enough time and effort. It doesn't' matter what race you are. Racist witch hunts have to stop for the sanity of the world. Remember it was Bruce Lee who fought hard to bring the martial arts into popularity for all races.

Posted:  23 Mar 2017 14:28
The only thing I find offensive is that Iron Fist looks like he needs to work out more. What kind of superhero doesn't look ripped?
Posted:  23 Mar 2017 17:14
I won't comment on the racism thing b/c I agree with you. I have been watching the Netflix show though and it is very good. I get that Iron Fist is a bit scrawny but he's got that average guy look going and I think it's intentional. Mostly he wears normal clothes so you can't tell he's not ripped. He's only had his shirt off in a few scenes here and there and usually not while fighting anyway. This has been the show I've been binge watching this week. I saw season two of Man in the High Castle and it was good but I think the first season was better.
Posted:  23 Mar 2017 19:08
I've been through 4 or 5 episodes of the Man in the High Castle so far, and I agree, so far the first season was better.

Sci-Fi with a Twist

Short stories that will blow you away!

Book Description

Top Ten Time Travel Books

*New Time Cruisers III Shadows of the Past

Superhero Collectibles

Superhero -
Books Clothing DVDs Games
Toys

Superhero Stores
Superhero Universe Characters

Aquaman Avengers Batman