Site Home  Boards Comics  Cons  Features  Gallery  News Shopping  Wallpaper  Wiki  Videos  Superhero Fitness Site Rules
Deadlaw has arrived!
Custom Search

Superhero Comic Book News & Community Copyright and Trademark Questions on the Term, Superhero 
»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

Comic Book Super Heroes Forum / Superhero Universe Characters / Superhero Universe General Discussion / Copyright and Trademark Questions on the Term, Superhero
SU Stories SU Gallery SU Character List  Story Index  Comic Book News Headlines Shop here!
Copyright and Trademark Questions on the Term, Superhero

Superhero Costumes
Posted:  23 May 2017 14:37   Last Edited By: Tim
I just read this page http://www.cbr.com/the-superhero-trademark-faq/ and it enlightened me on the trademark issue on the word "superhero".

According to this lawyer any products such as comic books and magazines, cardboard stand-up figures, playing cards, paper iron-on transfers, erasers, pencil sharpeners, pencils, notebooks, stamp albums, and costumes cannot use the term, "superhero" on the packaging.

He does say you can refer to your character inside a book as a superhero just don't put the word,"superhero" on the title. He said this is why DC says Shazam on the cover, but use to, anyway, refer to their character as Captain Marvel inside the comic book. Which is confusing as well. Just because Captain Marvel wasn't used for a few decades then I guess they lost the rights to use the name on the cover.

Now, my other question, which I don't think it states clearly is can you say superhero in your book's description. I'm assuming you can as it is part of the story.

Basically, the thing to remember at this point is, don't title your books, "Superhero Sam" or "Superheroes Whatever".

The other question I have is why do they have to make this stuff so complicated?
Posted:  23 May 2017 22:32
Quote:
...why do they have to make this stuff so complicated?

To keep lawyers employed.
Posted:  24 May 2017 00:40
Yeah, I should have been a lawyer.

Sci-Fi with a Twist

Short stories that will blow you away!

Book Description

Top Ten Time Travel Books

*New Time Cruisers III Shadows of the Past

Superhero Collectibles

Superhero -
Books Clothing DVDs Games
Toys