Brotherhood of Evil
From Superhero Wiki Encyclopedia
Home Books Clothing DVDs Posters Toys Video Games
Comic Book News
Link to us
Online Comic Books
The Brotherhood of Evil was founded by the engimatic villain the Brain. In the beginning, the group's motivation was world domination. It has recently been revealed that Brain's true purpose for the Brotherhood was to destroy Chief Caulder and his "colleagues". Caulder murdered Brain so he could turn the scientist into Robotman without his consent, but was spared this fate by his creation, the super-intelligent Monsieur Mallah. Brain swore revenge against Caulder and his "pets", the Doom Patrol, who like Brain were victims of Caulder's attempts to create an army of super-heroes through the ruining of innocent lives.
The original line-up consisted of the Brain, his chief henchman Monsieur Mallah, and their first recruit, the shapeshifter Madame Rouge. They fought the Doom Patrol on a regular basis and were later briefly joined by fellow Doom Patrol villains General Immortus and the alien Garguax. The group also was aided by the clumsy henchman Mr. Morden, who often operated robotic devices for the Brain.
The group's constant failure to defeat Doom Patrol combined with the growing romantic attraction between Madame Rouge and Doom Patrol leader Niles "Chief" Caulder, led to Madame Rouge breaking free of the mental conditioning the Brain used to forcibly recruit her. Rouge quit the Brotherhood to join Doom Patrol but the Brain quickly recaptured Madame Rouge and rebrainwashed her to make her evil personality dominant. The result backfired horribly on the Brain, as Madame Rogue turned against her evil teammates and launched a missile to destroy the Brain and Mallah.
Now aided by escaped Nazi war criminal Captain Zahl, Madame Rouge captured the members of Doom Patrol and forced them to chose the horrible death of dying in a nuclear explosion in order to save a small Maine fishing village. The Doom Patrol reluctantly chose death and were apparently killed in the explosion.
Madame Rouge and Zahl (now calling himself "General" Zahl) stayed in hiding for many years, gathering an army of minions for their next big plan, the invasion and conquest of the country of Zandia. Meanwhile Doom Patrol had reformed with Robotman as the only surviving original member. Along with Doom Patrol hanger-on Steve Dayton (AKA Mento), the two avoided going after Madame Rouge for the murders of Doom Patrol due to them not wanting to involve young Doom Patrol member Beast Boy in their vendetta. However, when Beast Boy (now calling himself "Changeling") joined the "New Teen Titans", the two adult Doom Patrol members went after Rouge. Both were defeated: Mento was tortured until he mentally broke down while Robotman was left deactivated and hung as a warning to tresspassers outside their headquarters.
The New Teen Titans went looking for Robotman and Mento when Beast Boy had not heard back from them and ultimately led them into conflict with Rouge and Zahl. Surprisingly though, the heroes were aided by the Brain and Mallah and their new version of the Brotherhood of Evil. Brain and Mallah had predicted Rogue's betrayal and went into hiding, leaving decoys that Rouge ultimately destroyed. They aided in defeating Rouge and Zahl, both of which ended up dying while fighting Beast Boy and Robotman respectively. The Brain's new Brotherhood left the Titans, knowing that they would soon come into conflict.
The Brain and the new Brotherhood of Evil came into conflict with Brother Blood, whose life-restoring blood pits Brain sought to use to prolong its own life. To deal with Brother Blood's inhuman powers, the group repeatedly attacked the Titans in order to kidnap Raven and force her to aid them in defeating Brother Blood. They ultimately succeeded in kidnapped Raven with Brain and the fear manipulating Phobia briefly turning Raven to the Brotherhood's side. Unfortunately, in doing so, Raven's demonic father Trigon was able to gain control over Raven's body and nearly killed both the Titans and the Brotherhood, if not for the intervention of Donna Troy (who had been teleported outside the battlefield by Warp at the start of the fight).
The Brotherhood resurfaced again in Zandia, months later as while the New Teen Titans were in a bitter battle to rescue Raven and team leader Nightwing from Brother Blood's cult. During the battle, Brain and Mallah finally got access to the blood pits of Brother Blood while the Brotherhood captured Jericho and tied him to a lightning rod to force a final showdown with the Titans, which they lost. Meanwhile a cave-in trapped Mallah and Brain underground, separating them from their team.
Meanwhile, Mr. Morden, now transformed into Mr Nobody, attempted to reform the Brotherhood in Paris, but eventually decided (having gone basically insane) that the name and focus of the group be changed to reflect the fact that "the universe is a drooling idiot with no fashion sense" - the Brotherhood of Dada was born. The Brotherhood of Dada would fight the Doom Patrol on two separate occasions before being permanently defeated.
Meanwhile Brain and Mallah made their way to America, without the help of the Brotherhood of Evil. The two broke into the lair of the latest incarnation of Doom Patrol, in order to steal one of Robotman's spare bodies for the Brain. Now with a body, Brain declared his undying love for Mallah just as the spare body exploded (the robot body had gained sentience, a fact the two were unaware of, and had vowed to destroy itself rather than have a human brain inserted into it again).
The rest of the Brotherhood meanwhile rechristened themselves the "Society of Sin" and recruited a new female member named Trinity. This incarnation of the Brotherhood would only exist for one battle with the Titans before the group returned to their existing name and dropped Trinity from its roster.
In New Titans #97-99, Brain and Mallah apparently returned to the Brotherhood with a shocking new member: Rita Farr, the sole member of the original Doom Patrol who had not came back to life at the time. The return was bittersweet though, as Brain was suffering from severe mental deterioration and Mallah proclaimed that only Mento's new Mento helmet could save the Brain. The group forced Changling to steal the helmet for them in exchange for Brain helping restore Cyborg's mental capacities (Cyborg had become a brain dead automaton at this point in time). Changling stole the helmet but quickly changed his mind about giving it to Brain, leading to "Rita Farr" to make her presence known and attack her son from behind while "Mallah" distracted Changling with energy blast powers that the ape never possessed beforehand. This caused the Brotherhood to realize that the three were not who they claimed to be, leading to Warp escaping and bringing the Titans in to save Changling and his teammates from the fake Elasti-Girl, Brain, and Mallah. Several weeks later, the three impostures attacked the Titans again and this time, they brought in an army of Titan villains with them, including a doppelganger of Plasma. This time the identities of the villains were revealed: they were energy beings who served a sentient alien computer called Technis which needed to assimilate Cyborg in order to survive.
Brotherhood lives again
The Brotherhood of Evil were not seen during the second half of the 1990s and would not return until 2005, in JSA Classified #1-3. Brain and Mallah themselves were magically resurrected a year prior to this during a Flash tie-in for Identity Crisis, having been revealed to be in jail for quite some time. The two were interrogated by the fifth incarnation of the Teen Titans over the location of Plasmus and Warp, as the two were suspects in the murder of Sue Dibny. It has been implied that the two were resurrected as a result of the same reality altering wave that erased the existence of Doom Patrol from the timeline, resulting the team only recently being formed by Caulder.
With Madame Rouge's daughter Gemini now a member, the group reunited with Phobia, Mallah, and Brain and joined the Secret Society of Super Villains, under the command of inner circle member Deathstroke the Terminator. Deathstroke had the group acquire the mass murdering chemical monster Chemo for the Society and in Infinite Crisis #4, dropped the monster onto the city of Blüdhaven. Murdering several million people, the Brotherhood became the most wanted villains in the DC Universe for their act of mass murder. Furthermore, Warp was recruited by the villainous Doctor Psycho to free the murderous Doomsday for the Society as part of the group's final endgame against Earth's heroes.
After the one year gap, between the end of Infinite Crisis and Teen Titans #34 (the first issue of Teen Titans after the "One Year Gap") the Brotherhood has gained two additional members "Elephant Man" and "Goldilocks" while losing Phobia, who opted to stay a freelance villain but still kept ties with the Brotherhood.
Currently the Brotherhood have returned to their independent roots and launched a massive crime waves independent of the remains of the Secret Society of Super-Villains. Their goals now include cloning a new body for the Brain as well as creating unstable clones of existing super-heroes to sell to third world dictatorships in Africa, putting the team in conflict with the Teen Titans, Doom Patrol, and the Outsiders.
The Brain, Monsieur Mallah, General Immortus, Phobia, Plasmus and Warp were later seen in Salvation Run. In Salvation Run #4, the Brain and Mallah are killed by Gorilla Grodd. In the final issue of the miniseries, General Immortus is killed during a battle with Parademons. Plasmus and Warp are used by Lex Luthor as a power source for a teleportation device, and are seemingly killed when it self-destructs. What this means for the future of the organisation remains to be seen.
Here is a list of the Brotherhood of Evil members:
Brotherhood of Evil
Second Brotherhood of Evil/Society of Sin
- The Brain
- Monsieur Mallah
- Elasti-Girl (Revealed to be an impostor in New Titans #103)
Third Brotherhood of Evil
- The Brain
- Monsieur Mallah
- Gemini (Revealed in Batgirl #61)
- Phobia (no longer a member as of Teen Titans v.3 #34)
- Elephant Man (Revealed in Teen Titans v.3 #35)
- Goldilocks (Revealed in Teen Titans v.3 #35)
Teen Titans animated series
In the Teen Titans animated series, the Brotherhood of Evil serve as the primary antagonists of the fifth season. Like they were in the comics, this Brotherhood of Evil are a villainous organization out to take over the world. They make their first appearance in a flashback, during which they attempt to unleash a black hole generator on the Doom Patrol. Years later, they would re-emerge, having captured the Doom Patrol, upon which they were rescued by the Teen Titans. After attempting to take them on alone a 2nd time, the Doom Patrol again defeated the Brotherhood with the Titans' help and destroyed their second black hole generator.
In retaliation, the Brotherhood of Evil assembled all of the Titans' enemies, with the intention of wiping out the "new generation of Heroes." Though many of them would logically have been incapacitated, and many of them appeared on their own over the course of season five, these villains would all join forces to help take out the Titans in the final arc. The Brotherhood and their allies were defeated by the collection of Titans, and most were frozen by Professor Chang's quick-freezing device.
The list below is what each hero faced in battle:
- Robin v.s. Madame Rouge (Lost)
- Raven v.s. Psimon and Kyd Wykkyd - Won (In the battle, Kyd Wykkyd kicks Raven into a pink portal Psimon had made, but Raven is later shown in the final battle with the 3 kids)
- Starfire v.s. Kitten and Killer Moth - Won (In the battle, Kitten whipped Starfire and was imprisoned in the hands of a mutant moth, but later shown in the final battle with Bumblebee and Red Star)
- Beast Boy v.s. Kardiak - Won (Was shown in Titans Together blowing up General Immortus's Robots.)
- Cyborg v.s. Mammoth - Cyborg was barged into a hole where he probably helped Kole and Gnarrk because Cyborg was shown in snow at the time, and with them in the final battle.
- Speedy v.s. Cheshire - Lost
- Bumblebee v.s. Angel and The Punk Rocket - Won (shown with Red Star in the final battle)
- Aqualad v.s. Plasmus and Trident - Lost
- Tramm v.s. XL Terrestrial - Tramm somehow got away or defeated XL Terrestrial in order to help Aqualad, but the two lost against Trident and Plasmus
- Más y Menos v.s. Johnny Rancid and Cinderblock - Más got away (Won and joined Beast Boy without knowing where Menos was), Menos got taken away (Lost)
- Argent v.s. General Immortus and robots - Lost
- Bushido v.s. Katarou - Lost
- Pantha v.s. Adonis and Atlas - Won (joined Beast Boy)
- The Herald v.s. Warp and See-More - Won (joined Beast Boy)
- Jericho v.s. Fang and Private H.I.V.E. - Won (joined Beast Boy)
- Killowat v.s. Control Freak and Puppet King - Lost
- Kole and Gnaark v.s. Billy Numerous and Gizmo - Won (Possibly with the help of Cyborg)
- Wildebeest v.s. Madame Rouge - Lost; battle took place far earlier
- Hot Spot v.s. Madame Rouge - Lost; battle took place far earlier
- Melvin, Timmy, Teether, and Bobby vs. Monsieur Mallah (In Hide and Seek) - Won (shown in final battle with Raven)
- Thunder v.s. The I.N.S.T.I.G.A.T.O.R. and Steam Roller - Lost
- Lightning v.s. Overload - Lost
The villain allies of the Brotherhood of Evil (from left to right) are:
- Billy Numerous (and his clones)
- Doctor Light (who, apparently, left the Brotherhood since he wasn't seen during the final battle)
- Jinx (left Brotherhood, joined the Teen Titans )
- Red X (went solo again after "Revved Up")
- Puppet King
- Johnny Rancid
- The Amazing Mumbo
- Professor Chang
- Kyd Wykkyd (HIVE student)
- Angel (HIVE student)
- The Punk Rocket
- Killer Moth
- XL Terrestrial (HIVE student)
- André LeBlanc
- Control Freak
- Wintergreen (Slade's butler)
- The INSTIGATOR (HIVE student)
- H.I.V.E. Headmistress
- The Thing
- Kitten (supposedly beaten by Starfire; didn't join in the final battle)
- Mad Mod
- The Witch from "Cyborg the Barbarian" (didn't join the final battle)
- Malchior (in page-body form)
- Master of Games
- Mother Mae-Eye (in ogre/witch form)
- Ding Dong Daddy
- The Source and Bob (The Source eaten by Cyborg, Bob changed back to "normal", both popped up in first assembly but didn't join the final battle)
- [[List of minor characters in the Teen Titans animated series|Private HIVE.]
- An article at PrettyFakes.com considers the romantic relationship between The Brain and Monsieur Mallah.